Real Estate Taxes vs. Assessments for Improvements

by Kenneth Hoffman in

You can't deduct assessments made by a government for improvements to your property.

For example, the paving of a dirt road to your home or business. You can add them to the basis of your property if they increase the value. On the other hand, you can deduct as taxes assessments for maintenance or repairs, or for meeting interest charges related to the improvements.

If you have any questions about this topic, tax law changes, business tips, or how to become a client, please call us at 954-591-8290 or use our Contact form.