The Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) is authorized to allow the full payment of a taxpayers unpaid tax debt in small and manageable monthly payment amounts. This revolving credit arrangement is called an “installment agreement.”
The taxpayer must satisfy the following conditions before the IRS agrees to an installment agreement:
- Taxpayer filed all tax returns;
- Taxpayer filed all employment tax returns;
- Taxpayer paid all payroll taxes for the current tax quarter;
- Taxpayer filed a financial statement (Form 433) if the tax due exceeds $25,000; and
- Taxpayer (self employed) made estimated tax payments for the current tax year.
A one-time user fee is charged by the IRS to process an installment agreement. Another cost associated with an installment agreement is a user fee. The fee is currently $52 for direct debit agreements and $105 for non-direct debit agreements.
Eligible low-income taxpayers (based on the Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines) will be charged a $43 fee. If taxpayers fail to meet the terms of the agreement during the life of the agreement, the IRS will charge an additional $45 fee to reinstate the agreement.
If you arrange to pay your taxes through an installment agreement, you can pay in various ways:
- Personal or business checks, money orders, or certified funds (all made payable to the U.S. Treasury);
- Payroll deductions your employer takes from your salary and regularly sends to IRS;
- Electronic transfers from your bank account or other similar means; or
- Direct debit from your bank account.
K.R. Hoffman & Co., LLC, counsels Entrepreneurs, Professionals and Select Individuals in taking control of their taxes, and businesses. Discover how we can help you overcome your tax and business challenges. For more information or to become a client, call Kenneth Hoffman at (954) 591-8290 Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for a no cost consultation, or drop me a note.
I truly value your business and I appreciate your referrals. Refer your family, friends, acquaintances, and business colleagues to KR Hoffman & Co., LLC. If your referral retains our services, we will send you a $25 gift card and your referral will receive a $25 discount on their first invoice.
Follow us on Twitter at @TaxReturnCoach, and let us know how we're doing.