Minister Housing Allowance

by Kenneth Hoffman in , ,

Ministers must qualify to exclude a housing allowance from taxable income. Under Code Section 107 of the Internal Revenue Code, a minister who satisfies all conditions contained in Section 107 may exclude from taxable income the qualifying amount of housing allowance. While many ministers are familiar with the concept, they frequently forget the detailed terms and conditions associated with this benefit.

Only qualified ministers may receive housing allowance. The IRS reserves this benefit for ordained, licensed, or commissioned ministers of the gospel who received their credentials from a church. Generally, specialized ministerial licenses do not qualify for a housing allowance.

In addition, the minister must be performing the duties of a minister during his work time. The Internal Revenue Regulations generally define the duties of a minister. The duties of a minister employed by a church generally include leading a worship service, performing sacerdotal functions, and managing the church or some significant segment of the church. A different test applies when the minister works outside the church.

Few churches use the term sacerdotal to describe a minister’s duties. The term sacerdotal originally arose within the Roman Catholic faith to describe those duties performed by the priests. Today, most churches define sacerdotal to include those duties normally expected of a minister by that church. Certainly, sacerdotal duties include performing weddings and funerals. But it also includes prayer, Bible study, preaching, teaching, counseling, leading church services, visiting the sick and infirm, and spreading the gospel through various means and media.

Once the individual is duly qualified as a minister and is performing ministerial duties, then the mechanical parts of the housing allowance must be performed. First, out of the minister’s total compensation, the church is responsible for designating in writing an amount as a housing allowance. This amount can range up to 100 percent of the minister’s compensation. The board or compensation committee should annually pass a resolution setting a fixed dollar amount of each minister’s housing allowance. The board or compensation committee may adjust the housing allowance during the year, but the adjustment will only apply prospectively. If the church provides a parsonage for the minister, the church is responsible for setting the fair rental value of the parsonage as furnished, plus utilities, and providing that information to the minister.

Second, the minister must track all cash expenses related to owning, occupying, or maintaining his primary residence. The minister will need to retain receipts should the IRS question his housing allowance. We urge all minsiters and clergy to keep a separate checkbook to keep track of their housing allowance and expenses.

Finally, the minister must determine the fair rental value of his home as furnished, plus utilities. The minister should not use a real estate professional associated with the church where he is serving.

The minister may exclude from taxable income the lowest of the amount designated by the church, the amount spent by the minister owning, occupying, and/or maintaining his primary home, or the fair rental value of the home as furnished, plus utilities.

As a side note, the housing allowance is taxable for self-employment taxes unless the minister has elected out of Social Security.

If you have any questions about this topic, tax law changes, have questions about the IRS and your church, or want to become a client, please call us at 954-591-8290 or use our Contact form.